Louisiana Shrimp Gumbo
- 5 lbs. peeled shrimp (Makes: 2 ½ lbs. of shrimp meat) fresh, never frozen
- 3 cans claw meat, fresh, well picked, not frozen
- 4 bunches of green onions
- 1 onion, white finely chopped
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 ¾ c. olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash of black pepper
- 1T. filé powder
- 3 boxes (32 oz.) chicken stock
- 12 quart pot
- Pour oil in skillet, add flour and stir until roux turns dark brown. (Roux takes 15 or 20 minutes of constant attention and stirring over medium to high heat).
- There is a moment, just before scorching, when the roux is deep chocolate (Step 5) to black in color – add onions and stir constantly until wilted (Step 6.)
- In large pot, heat stock and add roux/onion mixture. Add claw meat, bay leaves, a dash of pepper, and file’ powder.
- Cook for 1 hour on low to medium heat.
- Heat to a boil, and add shrimp, bring to boil for 2 minutes then turn heat off. Gumbo freezes well. Serve in a bowl over rice.
Makes: About 14-16 Servings.